Scottish Ballet Youth Exchange 2016/18
In October 2016 we were delighted to make a new work with 18 first year students from TISCH, New York University, where Scottish Ballet Creative Associate Lorraine Jamieson created a new dance piece with the group inspired by Brian Arias's Motion of Displacement.
14 dance students from Scottish Ballet's Youth Exchange travelled to New York in April 2017 to work with the dancers from NYU. They completed the new work together and performed it at The Joyce Theater.
Scottish Ballet partnered with Joyce Theater Education team in New York, and the exchange explored themes from the triple bill that the company toured to New York at that time (a triple bill that included Bryan Arias, Christopher Bruce and Christopher Hampson).
It has been amazing to learn new styles, be inspired by the people around me and dance in the beautiful Scottish Ballet studios.
I feel that the group as a whole really bonded in New York and became a family. I think it was everyone’s equal efforts which allowed this to happen.
Youth Exchange Participants
OUTCOMES OF THE 2016/18 PROGRAMME:
- Participants and applicants experienced an industry standard audition and recruitment process. 45 candidates applied, 31 candidates were auditioned and 23 were interviewed in Scotland.
- Through the programme, 13 participants were offered individually-tailored dance and performance ‘work experience’ packages that are not available through their colleges and schools.
- One participant from the 2015/16 programme was invited to return and develop their experience as Rehearsal Director.
- Weekly skills-development sessions in the professional studios at Scottish Ballet, giving them the opportunity to broaden their professional and cultural horizons, develop their dance technique and choreography and build on their creativity and individual strengths.
- 32 participants made new friends across the world, experienced a different culture and dance training in that culture, learnt new transferable skills, and made a meaningful connection with Scotland’s national dance company.
- The exchange participants worked collaboratively to learn and perform a new dance work.
- The exchange participants took part in a performance at Joyce Theater, New York to an audience of over 150 people.
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon visited YEX rehearsals in New York. The dancers were then invited to a reception with the First Minister in Scotland in June.
- Some of the Youth Exchange participants took part in the Generation Dance Festival at Tramway in June 2018.