Scottish Ballet is hosting free drop-in classes each Sunday for families, individuals, people living with dementia and their carers.
By developing communication, expression, coordination, balance, creativity and social interaction, dancing engages the brain and improves quality of life. This can help with common symptoms associated with dementia, such as memory loss.
Weekly classes are currently taking place in Glasgow and will expand nationally once our model is tried and tested.
As well as being a place to come to dance, have fun, and socialise, Time to Dance participants have the opportunity to learn something about Scottish Ballet’s repertoire and to attend our theatre events as our guests.
Weekly - Sunday 1.30pm to 3.30pm
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Participants are met at Tramway reception by member of the Scottish Ballet team and guided up to Scottish Ballet's studios
- Time to Dance classes begin seated, progressing slowly with options to stand or remain seated
- Classes begin gently, becoming more energised throughout, before ending with a calming cool-down and a chance to dance freely with your partner
- Classes consist of a mixture of group dances, partner dances, games, creative movement, improvisation, ballet, and dancing with props
- Classes are accompanied by a live percussionist and led by two experienced dance artists who have received specialised training from Alzheimer's Scotland, NHS and Hearts & Minds.
WHO ARE CLASSES FOR?
Time to Dance is for everyone. The classes are designed for people living with dementia who would like to use their bodies through movement, and their families, friends, children, grandchildren, partners and carers. All ages and experience levels are welcome.
Scottish Ballet is located within Tramway, a five minute walk from Pollokshields East train station. There is free on-street parking close-by and regular buses from nearby Pollokshaws Road into the city centre.
Step-free access is available.
To find out more about the programme and register your interest in the classes, please contact our dance heath co-ordinator Miriam Early on Miriam.Early@scottishballet.co.uk or 0141 331 6276