Scotland’s national dance company and the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive are seeking a freelancer.
Project Cataloguer for the Scottish Ballet Archive
Project fee: £4,500
Project duration: December 2019 - March 2020. Total of 45 working days (flexible timings)
Place of work: National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
About the project:
In 2019 Scotland’s national dance company celebrates 50 years of inspiring audiences on stage and beyond. To mark this milestone, Scottish Ballet and the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive have secured funding to digitise the company’s analogue video materials. With the digitisation underway, we are now seeking a cataloguer to describe the collection.
This project role will be employed by Scottish Ballet on a freelance basis, primarily based at and managed by the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive, but in regular contact with and occasionally required to work from Scottish Ballet.
- Catalogue approx. 310 digitised video tapes to International Federation of Film Archives standards (accounting for approx. 600 hours of video footage);
- Agree with Scottish Ballet and the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive which tapes will be formally accessioned;
- Liaise with Scottish Ballet and the Scottish Theatre Archive, and conduct some independent research, to provide appropriate level of detail;
- Document relevant copyright permissions in all records;
- Select appropriate clips and still images from each video for the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive to make available online;
- Liaise with the National Library of Scotland Moving Image Archive and Scottish Ballet to finalise online content package and supporting information to make the Archive available to the public.
You will hold a relevant archive / library qualification or have comparable experience in cataloguing for archives. You will be a self-starter and relationship builder who is highly organised, and will thrive working independently. Prior knowledge of FIAF standards would be advantageous, and an interest in ballet or the performing arts is desirable.
It is a really exciting time to be part of Scottish Ballet’s 50th anniversary celebrations. If this role sounds like you then we would love to hear from you.
To apply please send;
- A letter outlining your interest in being considered for the position – why you believe your skills, knowledge and experience are relevant to the role;
- A copy of your curriculum vitae;
- The names and contact details of at least two professional referees (these will only be contacted should you be offered the position).
Deadline for applications: 5pm 30 September 2019
Interviews will be held at Scottish Ballet on 10 October 2019.
Please send CV, covering letter and referee details to email@example.com or call 0141 331 2931 for further information.
Scottish Ballet is a charity registered in Scotland: SC008037