Are you an exceptional Dance Artist? Do you have a passion for inspiring children and young people?
We have a fantastic opportunity for two Dance Artists to join our freelance team delivering Scottish Ballet’s innovative programme Safe to Be Me™ (StBM) on behalf of our award-winning Engagement Department.
Join us as we embark on a journey to inspire audiences on stage and beyond, with a creative vision crafted by Scotland.
About Scottish Ballet
Based in Glasgow, we are an international touring company with an inspirational engagement programme.
Scottish Ballet’s world-first STBM programme uses dance to introduce topics such as racism, homophobia, bigotry, ableism, and transphobia to young people in a school environment. Delivered in line with the key Scottish Government targets to address these areas, the project engages with Primary 6 pupils to explore themes that include identity, respect, acceptance, ethnic and family diversity, and LGBTQ communities.
While the roles listed below are specific to the STBM programme, we are also seeking to broaden the number of freelancers we engage with for potential future projects.
We're seeking experienced dance professionals with a genuine passion for inspiring children and young people and the confidence to explore STBM topics.
Essential experience & skills:
- Strong contemporary and/or ballet technique
- Versatile engaging performance quality
- Ability to learn and perform repertoire
- Performance experience in community settings and schools
Dance Artist / Facilitator
Essential experience & skills:
- Excellent communication & listening skills specifically with children and young people
- Experienced facilitation in a diverse range of community and educational settings
- Ability to create safe space for children and young people to openly discuss STBM topics and values
- Confidence to appropriately respond to challenging discussions
- Choreographic/directing experience – work quickly collaborating with young people
- Strong dance movement practice
Desirable for all roles: full, clean driving license. Based in Glasgow, with travel to schools across Scotland as required.
Fees: Competitive industry-standard rates relative to experience and individual project demands.
Successful audition will not be a guarantee of work – all upcoming 2021 STBM projects and tours are subject to Scottish Government guidance on Covid-19.
It is an exciting time to join Scottish Ballet. Scottish Ballet has made a commitment to reflect the STBM values across the company. We especially welcome applications from people with lived experience of racism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism and bigotry, and applications from Gypsy Traveller communities. Click here for more information on how we are addressing Anti-Racism.
To apply please send:
- Either a cover letter or a short film of yourself outlining which role you are interested in, why you believe your skills, knowledge and experience are relevant to the role. (Basic, unpolished mobile phone footage is appropriate and should not exceed 5 mins)
- A copy of your curriculum vitae
- The names and contact details of at least two professional referees (these will only be contacted should you be offered a position)
Deadline: Friday 15 January 2021
Auditions: w/c 25 January 2021
If you need any additional support in order to access this application process, please do get in touch.